This is a complete recipe that will produce a 4.5% ABV hard cider.
FORBIDDEN FRUIT HARD CIDER RECIPE
This is a dry, crisp and incredibly refreshing hard cider. Grown in the fertile orchards of New Zealand, only the finest quality apples are chosen at the height of their ripeness. Brew some up and experience this perfection for yourself. Not since the Garden of Eden has the apple been this freaking tempting! Perfect for any occasion. BrewDemon® uses only 100% New Zealand apples to provide the optimum flavor profile for world-class cider.
(1) 525g can of Forbidden Fruit Hard Cider Mix
(1) 3g packet of Dry Hard Cider brewing yeast (Fermentis SC-22)
(1) 43g packet of One Step No-Rinse Cleanser
You will need
1 1/2 cups of Granulated Sugar
Each recipe includes a packet of One Step No-Rinse Cleanser, enough to sanitize all your equipment during brewing and bottling. Sanitize everything that will come in contact with your cider before making this recipe.
2-GALLON RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS
1. Sanitize Your Equipment
This is the most important step in the brewing process. It kills any bacteria, wild yeast and mold that can cause off-flavors. It’s important to sanitize everything that comes in contact with your cider. This step should take about 15 minutes.
1. In a container, dissolve half (1 tbsp) of the One Step No-Rinse Cleanser into a gallon of warm water. Shake until the cleanser has completely dissolved. Save the other half of the cleanser for bottling.
2. Pour solution into the fermenter, screw on the lid and place your venting plug into its hole. Cover venting plug and swirl the solution around making sure it contacts the entire inside surface including the lid.
3. Open and close the tap several times to sanitize the inner surface.
4. Place your mixing spoon(s), measuring cup and can opener* inside the fermenter. Careful not to scratch the inside surface. Allow it to soak a minimum of 10 minutes.
5. Drain fermenter. Remove your utensils and place them on a clean paper towel or a sanitized plate or a bowl. No rinsing is required.
*If needed. Can opener must be sanitized before using.
2. Making This Hard Cider
This mix contains 100% pure apple juice concentrate ready for fermentation. Just add water, sugar and the included yeast. Since your hard cider is mostly water, the better the water the better your cider. This step should take about 30 minutes.
1. Fill your fermenter with a gallon of cold water. For best results, use bottled spring water or charcoal-filtered tap water.
2. Place 4 cups of water into a clean 3-quart pot and bring to a boil.
3. Remove from heat. Stir in hard cider mix and 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar into pot, mix thoroughly until the sugar is dissolved. This mixture is called the must.
4. Pour the must into the fermenter. Bring the volume of the fermenter up to the 8.5-quart mark by adding more water. Mix thoroughly. Read the thermometer and wait until the temperature of the must is between 64°- 86° F before adding the yeast.
5. Add the yeast. Then attach your lid.
6. Place the fermenter out of direct sunlight and maintain a temperature between 64°- 86° F for approximately 7 days.
And Now You Wait
After 7 days the cider in your fermenter should have stopped fermenting and begun to clear. It’s now time to bottle! If you’re not sure, draw a small amount from the tap; if it tastes like flat hard cider, it’s ready to bottle. If it tastes sweet, give it a few more days.
3. Bottle as Directed
Follow the steps outlined in the hard cider instructions that came with your kit. You can download these instructions from the Help Desk under “Downloads”.
FOR BEST RESULTS CONDITION FOR 1 WEEK.